Chinaccelerator in 2019: Portfolio Raising $96million, 360+ Mentors, #2 Most Active Angel & Seed Investor in the World
2019 has been a landmark year for SOSV, Chinaccelerator, and MOX.
In SOSV’s global network, we have 940+ portfolio companies, for a total of 2,240+ founders from 93 different countries. Among these companies, 345 have at least one female founder. In 2018, we only had 277 companies that have female founders.
Our portfolio companies in Chinaccelerator and MOX raised a total of $96 million in 2019. Of the total investments we made in 2019, 68% closed over US$500,000 post accelerator and 17 companies bagged over US$1 million.
2020 marks the 10th year of Chinaccelerator and the 5th year of MOX – Mobile Only Accelerator. Stay tuned for our 10th-anniversary activities.
Let’s get a detailed review of Chinaccelerator in 2019 below.
As the first accelerator in Asia, we help startups build real businesses, from overseas to China, from China to the world.
- We are the only institutional investor in Fintech unicorn BitMEX (CA8), the leading cryptocurrency trading platform by reported volume globally. We are also the only active accelerator in Asia to have a unicorn go through its program.
- USHOPAL (CA7), one of the fastest-growing New Rising Brand acceleration and strategic management scaling engines in China, is now a 1 billion RMB market cap company.
- On-demand tutoring service provider Snapask (CA8) has connected more than 2 million users with 250,000 educators across 8 countries.
- Travel and lifestyle AI digital solution provider TravelFlan (CA16) has partnered with Samsung and China Mobile, and has raised 7 million USD in Series A during the program.
- Miro (CA14), a leader in leveraging their computer vision tech to help marathons and other events identify runners, won the Sport and Performance Data Pitch at SXSW 2019.
- The B2B online content marketplace allrites (CA15) raised 1.1 million USD to grow its marketplace for TV, film, and sports content rights.
- Cross-border logistics and fulfillment company, AllSome Fulfillment (CA11), raised 1.94 million USD.
- Health insurance software startup The CareVoice (CA10) is expanding across Asia and raised a 10 million USD Series A round.
- Esports Charts (CA15), a leading Esports data analytics and insights platform, reported tournament data for the world’s largest Dota2 tournament – The International 2019, and the world champion team, OG, became their client.
- NewCampus (CA11) partnered with three of the largest coworking spaces in Asia, and is now eyeing expansion to Korea and Thailand. They also closed their seed round of 1.2 million USD and have started raising their Pre-A.
We help overseas startups enter the China market.
- 247tickets (CA10) becomes one of the first foreign-owned companies in China to receive the Cultural Performance Brokerage license and was fast-tracked to be able to help bring foreign artists into China.
- Mobile AR/VR shopping app Coolhobo (CA10)won the Google & JD.com’s AR competition and elected runner up by Tencent and New World group (K11).
- Mobile meditation app Mobio Interactive Inc. (CA12) won a 1 million RMB cash prize from the Haining government.
We help Chinese startups go global.
Other good news from our portfolio:
- HR SaaS software provider Yem innovation (CA14) won 2019 HR Tech Geek Awards by HRTech China.
- Computer Vision solution for the construction industry viAct (CA16) was selected as Top 100 global ConTech Startups by BUILTWORLD and PwC, and secured seed round by Alibaba Group, SenseTime and SOSV.
- Insurtech company MotionsCloud (CA15) was selected as Top100 insurtech company.
- Founder of Kno (CA16) Marianne Caroline Hughes was shortlisted for One Young World Entrepreneur of the Year 2019. Kno is a real-time transparency platform for brands, factories, and workers.
- Neufast (CA16), a company utilizing AI technology to help companies hire employees, won Star of Innovation from AHK Hong Kong and the German Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong, and got the Most Innovative Award from iFlyTek AI 星火营.
Our in-house experts use the Lean Startup method and adopt a data-driven approach to help startups accomplish market entry. In a six-month program, we help startups find product-market fit, obtain users, and monetize in the context of China and Asia.
Growth hacking is a strategic tool for us. We worked heavily with startups on building an experiment mindset and stable growth structure. With a well-organized structure from growth infrastructure, acquisition, activation to retention, we help founders and their teams set up their growth foundation.
The growth star of the year: Mark It (CA15)
Mark It increased its total users 3 times during the program – from 70,000+ to 210,000+.
We not only help startups grow business globally and raise money from other investors, but also bridge corporates with startups, allowing corporates to test multiple startup technologies in a structured process, with risk management and force maximization.
In 2019, our Corporate Innovation team worked with more than 20 new partners from over 20 countries, including MNCs, government and other organizations. We provided training sessions and held activities/events on innovations across over 10 industries, including consumer product goods, consulting, energy and more.
We have one of the most active networks of startup mentors and partners in Asia, as a weapon.
We had over 40 new startup mentors to join our community in 2019. At the moment, our mentor network has expanded to over 360 people.
Our mentors are mostly based in Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco and more. Their top 5 specializations include China Strategy, Entrepreneurship & Business, Mobile Strategy, Fundraising, and Media/Branding Strategy. Check out our mentors here.
We are committed to providing valuable knowledge and networking opportunities for entrepreneurs and anyone interested in startups through offline events.
Last year, Chinaccelerator organized, partnered and attended more than 150 events, 40+ conferences, and 100+ community gatherings internationally.
A big thank you to all event partners who supported us in 2019! We look forward to more cooperation in the new decade!
We are located in Shanghai, but we care about founders and leaders from all over the world.
- We gave a talk at TECH[LIFE]STYLE Conference in Hong Kong, hosted by the Mills and Global Sources Startup Launchpad.
- Techsauce is one of our Southeast Asian partners. We gave speeches and kept hunting for high-quality startups from the conference.
- In Korea, we work with Across Asia Alliance, Bigbang Angels and Korea Institute of Startups and Entrepreneurship Development to seek promising Korean startups and expand our influence in the Korean startup ecosystem.
- As an expert in helping Chinese companies go global, we also look at the Indian market. We joined a panel at the 3rd Startup India Investment Summit organized by our partner Venture Gurukool and supported by the Consulate General of India, Shanghai.
- Every year, we host 3 events during the RISE HongKong conference. In 2019, we hosted an event about cross-border entrepreneurship and investment by partnering with WHub and Angelhub, gathering over 300 attendees at night.
- We are interested in the Brazil market and hope to help Bralizian startups enter the China market. We work with Apex-Brasil and help with their global startup program StartOut Brasil.
- SOSV is the co-chair for H2 China. Founded in Silicon Valley, H2 is the premier leadership network for the technology industry, connecting a trusted global community of leaders to support startup ecosystems around the world. We hosted the H2 China Chapter Forum in Shanghai.