Communications Manager ((journalist and content creator) | SOSV Cross-Border
Job title: Communications Manager (journalist and content creator)
Reporting to: COO
Location: Shanghai, China
SOSV Cross-Border Internet (chinaccelerator.com and mobileonlyx.com) is looking for a Chinese-language Communications Manager with a journalism or content background located in Shanghai, China to join our small but mighty PR and Marketing team. The Communications Manager will be a pillar on the team focused on upcoming stories and how best to leverage them in the Chinese-language media and reach our target audiences.
In this role, you will be accountable for:
- Placing stories about SOSV Cross-Border Internet and its portfolio companies in premier tech and business publications
- Developing a PR strategy focusing on the China market and enterprise-tech ecosystem
- Increasing the overall brand exposure and building good reputation globally, especially in China, through different channels
In 3 months you’ll be able to support your first cohort of startups, from crafting the founder stories and company profiles to writing the press releases for SOSV’s investments. Manage media requests from reporters in and out of China.
In 6 months you will develop a keen understanding of venture capital and the Chinese tech ecosystem. You’ll be leading our communications efforts with corporations and the enterprise-tech ecosystem. Be able to develop sophisticated angles and pitch news-worthy stories to our network of reporters.
In 1 year you will have developed a strong network of journalists and media contacts and become a trusted advisor on PR matters for founders and the wider ecosystem.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Collaborating with members of the PR and Marketing team to create a global PR strategy for China and overseas markets targeting founders, VCs and corporate partners.
- Developing thought leadership for the SOSV Cross-Border leadership team in areas around software, emerging markets and cross-border growth.
- Providing consistent PR support for portfolio companies
- Creating and maintaining messaging standards for company and startup materials
- Developing and maintaining content for the website, WeChat accounts and WeChat video channel
- Cultivating good relationship with global media outlets, internal and external event organizers, promoters and media partners
We are looking for people who :
- Have a keen sense of news
- Know how to develop angles for the press
- Like to learn on the run
- Already steeped in the startup tech story and the Chinese press who write them
- Pride yourself on great relations with journalists
- Natural leader in a flat team structure
- Results oriented – good stories in top publications are the goal
The successful candidate:
- Is a native Chinese speaker with fluency in English
- Has at least 3 years of PR, journalism or content experience. Venture capital or the tech startup context is highly preferred.
- Has a great track record of landing stories.
SOSV is the world’s leading early-stage investor with US$ 970 million in assets under management. We invest in 150 companies every year through category-leading startup development programs. Our intensive programs provide startups with seed capital, a specialized global staff of engineers, designers, and scientists to accelerate product development, mentors with deep market and technical expertise, and an unparalleled infrastructure of fully outfitted laboratory and maker spaces.
SOSV Cross-Border Internet consists of Chinaccelerator and MOX—deeply resourced startup development programs for both enterprise-tech and consumer-tech, with over 240 corporate partners and over 100M consumers in our ecosystem. We invest US$150,000 in each startup going through the program. Notable alumni include video publisher network Flickstree, which powers video content for Samsung and Xiaomi; AI English pronunciation assistant ELSA, the first investment in Asia by Google’s Gradient Ventures; and health tech company Phable, India’s largest connected care ecosystem.
Headquartered in Shanghai with a network of over 200 multinational corporate partners, Chinaccelerator enables enterprise-tech startups from around the world enter Asia, and global startups enter China, and local Chinese startups expand to global markets. Chinaccelerator offers life-long support in the form of rigorous guidance, training and resources from mentors, partners and investors. The robust and supportive alumni network continues beyond the program.